Permanent residence shall be the right, regardless of the practice of Treaty rights by the category of employee, self-employed citizen, self-sufficient person, student, and family member, to permanently live in an EU Member State. To apply for EEA Permanent Residence through the first five years of residency are dependent on the worker, self-employed individual, etc., a person can lose their job, cease business or be a family member of an EU citizen exercising Treaty rights but still have the authorization to reside in the EU member state involved after this period has elapsed.

An EEA national has the right to reside in the United Kingdom as long as they have their Treaty rights in this region. This can be accomplished by job development, self-work, the quest for jobs, or self-reliance. When an EEA national has exercised Treaty privileges for an ongoing duration of five years, they become resident automatically in compliance with the law of the European Union. The person may request a document certifying permanent residency, although there is no compulsion to do so. EEA nationals currently residing in the United Kingdom are looking ahead and looking for ways to persuade or defend themselves against potential legislative changes by obtaining documents certifying their current status. ​ Although a permanent residence may be automatically acquired by an EEA national, that automatic right is not a certificate of the individual's status. The certificate certifying permanent residence is not currently mandatory but can be requested and used as proof of the pre-existing right of permanent residence of a person.

The only applicants who are expected to use the paper form are:

  • Members of the family of a qualifying EEA national who does not apply with their sponsor.
  • Students or self-sufficient individuals who are financially liable or dependent on a family member for their financial support.
  • Persons applying under retained rights.